Former Wales goalkeeper Paul Jones won the 14th Footballers’ Golf Classic at La Manga Club
Wednesday, 23 June 2010
Former Wales goalkeeper Paul Jones won the 14th Footballers’ Golf Classic, narrowly edging out fellow Welsh international Steve Lovell by just one point at La Manga Club.
Jones led the three-day event from the start and held an 11-point advantage going into the final round, but a poor third round almost allowed former Millwall striker Lovell to snatch the title.
The ex-Wolves keeper scored just 23 points in a poor final round while both Lovell and former Norwich and England winger Mark Barham found enough form to threaten his tally.
However, Jones’ overall total of 99 points proved just enough to take him to victory with Lovell finishing on 98 and 2006-winner Barham a further point behind in third.
The event, sponsored by Addison Lee, Europe’s largest minicab fleet, included a team competition which was also won by a solitary point, as Ivan Millward, Michael Dick and Dave Harris emerged victorious with a total of 247 points from their three rounds.
Each competition round saw teams play with a different football legend and a host of famous faces took part including Matt Le Tissier, Paul Jewell, Russell Osman and Pat Jennings.
This year the event featured an extra round of competitive golf with teams competing in the inaugural Alan Ball Trophy which saw Brighton legend Perry Digweed lead his team of Kevin Lawson, Martin Lovell and Mark Davies to victory.
Digweed’s side scored 103 points to finish one point ahead of teams captained by Wolves-stalwart Kenny Hibbitt and Scotland striker David Speedie.
The Footballers’ Golf Classic is just one of a host of prestigious events held on La Manga Club’s three championship golf courses. The five-star resort has previously hosted the Spanish Open and is a regular venue for celebrity and corporate competitions.
For more information on La Manga Club or to book a stay call 00 34 968 17 5577, email email@example.com. or go to www.lamangaclub.com.
Next » Editors Choice
- Scotland's Lloyd Saltman heads 2013 Madeira Open Leaderboard after round 1
- 2013 HP Byron Nelson Championship Prizemoney, Purse, Payouts, Winnings, Earnings, Money List &c.
- How to play the golf punch shot in winding playing conditions by GolfbloggerUK
- Golf Shot Visualization - Trouble Recovery Shots, covering how to slice it around a tree
- First Round Tee Times and Pairings for 2013 BMW PGA Championship at Wentworth
- @Darren Mills - Ha Rang Lee wins Spanish Women's Amateur International Sroke-play Championship Golf in Alicante
- @Andrew Gibson - Dan Waite of The Wisley, Surrey, wins 2013 PGA Europrotour The Motocaddy Masters
- @Jan Blanckaert - Golf Villas for Sale in The Fuzeta Ria Resort, Portugal at €255,000-€260,000
- @Robert - STOWAMATIC Electric Golf Trolley Reduced From £499.99 to £189.99 + Free Shipment