Hyo Joo Kim & Juan Cerda win 48th Junior Orange Bowl International Golf in Florida
Saturday, 31 December 2011
48th Junior Orange Bowl International golf championship – Coral Gables, Florida – Final Results
South Korea’s Hyo Joo Kim and Chile’s Juan Cerda are the new Junior Orange Bowl International golf champions, Cerda taking the Boys title in a three-hole sudden death playoff.
16-year old Kim went wire to wire for victory, although her final round of 3-over par left the title open to challengers into the closing moments, securing the championship by single stroke with two birdies in her final three holes. Equally critical was her 20-foot uphill par-save at the 17th, after a weak approach stroke.
“I did not putt well for most of the round but was able to find my concentration at the most important moments,” Kim explained through an interpreter.
As Kim slipped backward early in the round, pressure was being exerted by 14-year old Canadian phenom Brooke Henderson, who birdied the 14th and 15th to get within in touch with the lead, but then uncharacteristically missed a 2-footer at the 16th. Finally it came down whether Kim could match Perrina Delacour’s birdie at the 72nd hole, which she did with the graceful simplicity she had shown throughout the entire championship.
Cerda became the Boys champion in spectacular style. At the third sudden-death hole he blistered his second shot to the 516yd par-five within three feet, then calmly stroked home the eagle putt for victory over Belgium’s Thomas Detry, the Belgian National Match Play champion.
Cerda, the Chilean Junior champion, bogeyed the 71st hole to let Detry back into contention and the Belgian then birdied the final hole to set up the playoff. Second round leader Austria’s Marcus Maukner surged into 3rd spot while third-round leader, Poland’s Adrian Meronk, slipped down the leaderboard with final round of 77.
The 48th edition of the Junior Orange Bowl International Golf Championship featured a 103-player field from 35 countries. For complete scores please visit www.jrorangebowl.org/golf.
Girls leading scores
1 Hyo Joo Kim, S. Korea - 68 70 69 74 281
2 Perrina Delacour, France - 72 73 70 67 282
3 Brooke Henderson, Canada - 73 71 69 71 284
4 Celine Boutier, France -72 71 68 74 285
5 Emily Pedersen, Denmark -71 74 70 72 287
6 Nicole Morales, S. Salem, NY - 77 75 68 71 291
Boys leading scores
1 Juan Cerda, Chile - 68 70 70 -70 278
2 Thomas Detry, Belgium - 72 69 68 69 278
3 Markus Maukner, Austria -68 68 73 70 279
4 Emil Sogaard, Denmark -73 68 69 70 280
T5 Jim Liu, Smithtown, NY -72 70 72 68 282
T5 Austin Smotherman, Loomis, CA -72 71 71 68 282
Next » Editors Choice
- The Players Championship 2013 Prize money, Payouts, Purse, Winnings, Earnings, Money List &c.
- 2013 THE PLAYERS Championship Leaderboard is led by Roberto Castro after round 1
- How to play the golf punch shot in winding playing conditions by GolfbloggerUK
- Golf Shot Visualization - Trouble Recovery Shots, covering how to slice it around a tree
- A taste of the 2013 BMW PGA Championship comes to London
- @Darren Mills - Ha Rang Lee wins Spanish Women's Amateur International Sroke-play Championship Golf in Alicante
- @Andrew Gibson - Dan Waite of The Wisley, Surrey, wins 2013 PGA Europrotour The Motocaddy Masters
- @Jan Blanckaert - Golf Villas for Sale in The Fuzeta Ria Resort, Portugal at €255,000-€260,000
- @Robert - STOWAMATIC Electric Golf Trolley Reduced From £499.99 to £189.99 + Free Shipment