Lee Westwood takes time-out at The Open Golf Championship to support England’s Bid to host the 2018 World Cup
Friday, 16 July 2010
Football fan Lee Westwood has taken time out of his preparations at St Andrew’s to support England’s Bid to host the 2018 World Cup. He tees off today (Thursday) in a bid to claim the Open Championship, Britain’s most prestigious golf tournament and the only ‘major’ outside of the USA.
World number three Westwood, who was named player of the year for the 2009 season, is an avid Nottingham Forest supporter and keen to register his support at www.england2018bid.co.uk. and help in England’s campaign to host the world’s greatest football tournament.
Nottingham Forest fan Lee Westwood said:
“Every football fan has been mesmerised by the amazing scenes out in South Africa over the past few weeks so to think the tournament could be played in England in 2018 is an incredibly exciting prospect. I’ve been lucky enough to experience amazing support playing at tournaments like The Open but that would be eclipsed by the excitement that would grip this country should we host the World Cup.
“Being a big Forest fan I’m also incredibly excited about Nottingham being one of the prospective Host Cities for the tournament. The City is steeped in footballing tradition and I’m certain supporters of all the local teams would help to create an amazing atmosphere.”
Lee has become the latest high profile names to join the official support campaign, which was launched by David Beckham in May 2009. It aims to secure two million signatories by the time the official bid is submitted to FIFA in December 2010. To back the bid, simply log on to www.england2018bid.co.uk.
Next » Editors Choice
- 2013 US Open Golf Prizemoney, Purse, Payouts, Winnings, Earnings, Money List &c.
- Top Golf Irons for 2013: Titleist introduce the new 712U Forged Blades
- Gridlock atop of The Queen's Cup 2013 Leaderboard after round 1
- Q: Whats in the Bag of Adam Scott? R: Titleist Golf Equipment
- LIVE GOLF SCORES - 2013 US OPEN GOLF SCOREBOARD
- @Michelle - Inside the Ropes for an Asian Tour Back 9 with Berry Henson from the United States
- @Bona Nhean - Nikon and MasterCard join forces to offer “priceless” golf experience
- @Jack McCullars - Who are the Golf Kings for Golfing Breaks & Holidays in the UK? YGT or Golfbreaks.com?
- @Darren Mills - Ha Rang Lee wins Spanish Women's Amateur International Sroke-play Championship Golf in Alicante