Mark Fensham leads Sunshine Tour Vodacom Origins of Golf Wild Coast Sun CC event
Tuesday, 9 August 2011
PORT EDWARD, August 9 – Mark Fensham led nine other qualifiers into the R540,000 Vodacom Origins of Golf event at the Wild Coast Sun Country Club on Tuesday as he carded a level-par 70 over the 5,807-metre layout.
He shared top spot in the 36-man field with Ryan Strauss and Stuart Clark, eking out a one-stroke edge over Wallie Coetsee, Coenie Stoop, Jeff Inglis and Louis Calitz.
Bryce Easton, Lyle Rowe and Michael Scholz each signed for a two-over 72 to make the final three spots in the field for the 54-hole event which gets underway on Wednesday.
Fensham, the 27-year-old based out of Fancourt, missed out on qualifying for the first event of the series in Pretoria in May, but he got into the main draw at the second event at Arabella where he made the cut and finished in a share of 32nd – his best performance on the 2011 Sunshine Tour.
He also qualified for the third tournament of the series at Simola, but his rounds of 78 and 74 saw him miss the cut.
He has only made two other cuts on the Sunshine Tour this year – at the rain-shortened Africom Zimbabwe Open where he finished in a share of 44th, and at the MTC Namibia PGA Championship in Windhoek where he shared 57th at four-over-par for the tournament.
He will be hoping that he can make his second cut in South Africa this year after a very quiet start to his professional career on the 2010 Sunshine Tour where he finished in the money only one, at the SAA Pro-Am Invitational at Randpark last September.
He was ranked amongst the top 10 amateurs in South Africa in 2009 before he turned pro. He won the Border and Eastern Province Strokeplay Championships that year, and was runner-up in the Sanlam Cape Province Championships.
His level-par 70 in the pre-qualifier at the Wild coast will have given him heart: The wind was coming up as he completed his round on a tough course, and he will feel his score is a sign he can master conditions during the tournament.
Golf Scores (RSA unless specified):
70 - Ryan Strauss, Stuart Clark (WAL), Mark Fensham
71 - Wallie Coetsee, Coenie Stoop, Jeff Inglis (ENG), Louis Calitz
72 - Bryce Easton, Michael Scholz, Lyle Rowe
73 - Dean Burmester, Nic Henning, Jake Redman, Divan Gerber, Patrick Spindler, Drikus van der Walt
74 - Vickesh Singh, Reggie Adams
75 - George Sauerman, Steven Ferreira, Ryan Thompson, Garry Hill, Johan Bekker
76 - Wandile Gininda, Ali Tsai, Don Black, Derek Scullard, Tyrone Ryan
77 - Wynand Dingle, Mark Williams, Dane Vosloo
78 - Michael McGrady, Michael Green
80 - Attie Schwartzel
81 - Diether Schuss
RTD - Ryan Hood
+ Sunshine Tour Media Release
Next » Editors Choice
- 2013 US Open Golf Prizemoney, Purse, Payouts, Winnings, Earnings, Money List &c.
- Top Golf Irons for 2013: Titleist introduce the new 712U Forged Blades
- Gridlock atop of The Queen's Cup 2013 Leaderboard after round 1
- Q: Whats in the Bag of Adam Scott? R: Titleist Golf Equipment
- LIVE GOLF SCORES - 2013 US OPEN GOLF SCOREBOARD
- @Michelle - Inside the Ropes for an Asian Tour Back 9 with Berry Henson from the United States
- @Bona Nhean - Nikon and MasterCard join forces to offer “priceless” golf experience
- @Jack McCullars - Who are the Golf Kings for Golfing Breaks & Holidays in the UK? YGT or Golfbreaks.com?
- @Darren Mills - Ha Rang Lee wins Spanish Women's Amateur International Sroke-play Championship Golf in Alicante